Notice: This file is archived for historical purposes only and is not being updated. Please see the index for updates.
- AAAS: American Association for the Advancement of Science (http://www.aaas.org)
- CISTI: Canada Institute for Scientific and Technical Information--worldwide scientific, technical and medical information (http://www.cisti.nrc.ca/cisti/cisti.html)
- CAS: The Chicago Academy of Sciences (http://www.mcs.com/~cas/home.html)
- CS Tech Reports: Computer Science Technical Reports Archive Sites (http://www.rdt.monash.edu.au/tr/siteslist.html)
- DoD IAC: Department of Defense (DoD) Information Analysis Center (IAC) Hub Page (http://www.dtic.dla.mil/iac/)
- EI: Engineering Information, Inc., a community of engineers sharing research, knowledge, and data (http://www.ei.org)
- EnviroWeb: environmental information source on the Internet (http://www.envirolink.org)
- NAS: National Academy of Sciences (http://www.nas.edu)
- NCSTRL: Networked Computer Science Technical Reports Library; an international collection of computer science technical reports from CS departments and industrial and government research laboratories, made available for non-commercial and educational use (http://www.ncstrl.org)
- NSF-USA: The National Science Foundation (NSF), United States (http://www.nsf.gov)
- OSTI-USA: The US Office of Scientific and Technical Communication (http://apollo.osti.gov/html/osti/ostipg.html)
- Science Top: the top science information resources on the Web, reviewed and rated (http://www.december.com/web/top/science.html)
- SETN: The Science and Engineering Television Network, Inc., a non-profit consortium of scientific societies, universities, laboratories and corporations organized to foster the development of scientific communication in the medium of television (http://www.service.com/stv/setncall.html)
Since the Web was invented by scientists, it is no surprise that scientific communication is common online. In this section, I list a few major examples of sites that are putting the Internet to use for scientific communication.