Notice: This file is archived for historical purposes only and is not being updated. Please see the index for updates.
This section lists useful lists of books articles, and bibliographies related to online and network communication. For the sake of compactness, the book list here is short. For longer lists, see the online or paper bibliographies available. I've prepared a list of many books and article readings in CMC and computer networking. That file is the CMC/December bibliography, listed below.
- Beebe's: a number of Internet bibliography collections dealing with computer science and Internet topics (http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe/bibliographies.html)
- Bib List: list of bibliographies related to computing literature (gopher://ukoln.bath.ac.uk:7070/11/Link/Tree/Computing/Literature)
- CMC/December: bibliography of selected readings in CMC and networking, by John December (http://www.december.com/john/papers/cmcbib93.txt)
- CMC/Hacker: CMC bibliography, by Kenneth L. Hacker: mail email@example.com Body: "get compumed biblio"
- CMC/Parker: : mail firstname.lastname@example.org Body: "send netstart info"
- CMC/ProjectH: a bibliography developed collaboratively by participants in ProjectH (ftp://ftp.arch.su.edu.au/pub/projectH/)
- CMC/Shedletsky: (ftp://tcet.unt.edu/pub/telecomputing-info/cmc-bibliography.txt)
- CMC: communication: mail email@example.com Body: "get compunet biblio"
- CMC course/Harrison: graduate CMC theory, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Teresa Harrison, John December, Emilie Gould, Laura Gurak (http://www.december.com/john/teach/cmc/rpi94/index.html)
- CMC course/Stephen: description of a CMC course: mail firstname.lastname@example.org Body: "get compumed syllabus"
- CMC ED Higgins: : mail email@example.com Body: "get rescmc syllabus"
- CMC ED Paulsen: : mail firstname.lastname@example.org Body: "get disted2 biblio"
- CMC ED Rice: : mail email@example.com Body: "get cmced biblio"
- CMC Study Review: Ed CMC, a field study of recent research (ftp://tcet.unt.edu/pub/telecomputing-info/cmc-study-review.txt)
- CS Bibs--CMU: bibliographies in computer science, artificial intelligence, cognitive science, computer-supported cooperative work, database systems, human-computer interaction, logic, multimedia, networks, object-oriented programming, ray tracing, and spatial reasoning (http://www.library.cmu.edu/bySubject/CS+ECE/lib/bibs.html)
- CS Bibs--U Manitoba: A Collection of Computer Science Bibliographies available on the Internet (ftp://ftp.cs.umanitoba.ca/pub/bibliographies/index.html)
- CSCW Bibliography: (ftp://ftp.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/pub/projects/CSCWbibliography/)
- Ed Tech/England: for a course, Introduction to Educational Telecommunications: mail firstname.lastname@example.org Body: "get EdTel biblio"
- Electronic Publishing: Network-Based Electronic Publishing of Scholarly Work, by Charles W. Bailey (http://info.lib.uh.edu/pr/v6/n1/bail6n1.html)
- Email books: A survey of books about electronic mail (http://www.dsv.su.se/~jpalme/e-mail-books-survey.html)
- Email 1/Thelen: email in social contexts (A-H): mail email@example.com Body: "get email 1 biblio"
- Email 2/Thelen: email in social contexts (I-Z): mail firstname.lastname@example.org Body: "get email 2 biblio"
- FYI Bibliography: Where to Start - A Bibliography of Internetworking Information (ftp://nic.merit.edu/documents/fyi/fyi3.txt)
- IAT Internet Bib: Institute for Academic Technology, Internet Bibliography, compiled by Carolyn Kotlas (ftp://gandalf.iat.unc.edu/user/home/anonftp/guides/irg-14.txt)
- Info Nets/Newby: course outline and bibliography for a course `Information Networking': mail email@example.com Body: "get InfoNet Syllabus"
- Information Soc: a special issue of the Computer Underground Digest, bibliography by Rob Kling (ftp://ftp.eff.org/pub/Publications/CuD/CuD/cud5.68)
- Internet Bks Review: reviews of Internet books, from NETTRAIN list: mail firstname.lastname@example.org Body: "GET NETTRAIN REVIEWS NETTRAIN"
- Internet Books Reviews: reviews of Internet books, from NETTRAIN list (ftp://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/nettrain/nettrain.reviews)
- Internet Books: Unofficial Internet Book List, by Kevin Savetz (http://www.northcoast.com/savetz/booklist/)
- Internet Bks Quarterman: (ftp://nic.merit.edu/documents/rfc/rfc1432.txt)
- Internet/NREN Pugh: an annotated bibliography of the Internet and NREN by Pugh: mail email@example.com Body: "get internet biblio"
- Intro Internetworking: (ftp://nic.merit.edu/documents/fyi/fyi19.txt)
- JCMC Cite Site: Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication Citation Site, list of online bibliographies and references (http://shum.huji.ac.il/jcmc/jcmc-citesite.html)
- Network Bib: computer networking and related technical topics (http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/netbib/)
- Network Reading List: (ftp://ftp.utexas.edu/pub/netinfo/reading-list/net-read.txt)
- Networked Info Bib: (ftp://infolib.murdoch.edu.au/pub/bib/stanton.bib)
- New User's Bib: a short bibliography for new users, from NETTRAIN list: mail firstname.lastname@example.org Body: "GET NEWUSERS FAQ NETTRAIN"
- New User's Bib (ftp): (ftp://sluaxa.slu.edu/pub/millesjg/newusers.faq)
- Organizational CMC: Bibliography of Organizational Computer-Mediated Communication, from contributors and editors at Journal of CMC (http://shum.cc.huji.ac.il/jcmc/rudybib.html)
- Telecom/Newby: course outline and bibliography for a course entitled `Telecommunications': mail email@example.com Body: "get Telecomm Syllabus"
- WWW Bib: Bibliography for the World Wide Web (http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Bibliography.html)
Online bibliographies and Syllabii
- Communications of the ACM (1991). Collaborative computing issue. Volume 34, number 12, December.
- Communication Research (1987). Special issue on Theories of Organizations and Information Technology. Volume 14, number 5, October.
- Communication Yearbook (1989). Issues and Concepts in Research on Computer-Mediated Communication Systems. Volume 12, chapter 8.
- Educom Review (1994). Special Issue on Networking. Volume 29, number 2, March/April.
- EJC/REC V3N2: Electronic Journal of Communication special issue on CMC: mail firstname.lastname@example.org Body: "send EJCTOC V3N293"
- Internet Business Journal (1993). Special Issue on Internet Advertising. Volume 1, numbers 3/4, September/October 1993.
- Internet Society News (1994). Special Issue: A Year in the Life of the Internet. Volume 2, number 4, winter.
- Journal of Communication (1989). Issue on computer communication affecting social power distribution. Volume 39, number 3.
- Journal of Communication (1996). Issue on Internet communication. Volume 46, number 1.
- The Serials Librarian (1991). Issue on technology and information for serials. Volume 21, numbers 2/3.
- Serials Review (1992). Issue on Economic Models for Networked Information. Volume 18, numbers 1-2.
- The South Atlantic Quarterly (1993). Flame Wars: The Discourse of Cyberculture. Volume 92, number 4, Fall 1993.
- Written Communication (1991). Issue on computers, language, and writing. Volume 8, number 1, January.
Special issues/journals on networks/CMC
- The American Center for the Study of Distance Education (1992). Computer-mediated communication for distance education. University Park, PA: The Pennsylvania State University.
- Burge, Elizabeth (1992). Computer Mediated Communication and Education: A Selected Bibliography. Toronto, Ontario: Distance Learning Office, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, 252 Bloor St W, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1V6.
- Romiszowski, A. J. (1992). Computer-mediated communication: a selected bibliography. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Educational Technology Publications.
LOC: Library of Congress card catalog (copy at DRA.COM) (telnet://dra.com)
------ Lists of books
- Internet Books: Unofficial Internet Book List, by Kevin Savetz (http://www.northcoast.com/savetz/booklist/)
- Internet business books: (http://arganet.tenagra.com/Tenagra/books.html)
There are many,many books about the Internet. Check out the lists of books here for oneline support sites for some books; for a longer list, check the Libarary of Congress card catalog or your bookstore.
----- Finding Internet books
- LOC: Library of Congress card catalog (copy at DRA.COM) (telnet://dra.com)
- Aboba, Bernard. (1994). The Online User's Encyclopedia. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Adams, Rick and Frey, Donnalyn. (1993). !%@:: A Directory of Mail Addressing and Networks, 3rd Ed. Sebastopol, CA: O'Reilly and Associates.
- Black, Uyless. (1993). Computer Networks: protocols, standards, and interfaces, 2nd end. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: PTR Prentice-Hall.
- Kessler, Gary C. (1990). ISDN: concepts, facilities, and services. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- LaQuey, Tracy L., ed. (1990). The User's Directory of Computer Networks. Bedford, MA: Digital Press.
- Li, Xia and Nancy B. Crane. (1993). Electronic style: a guide to citing electronic information. Westport, CT: Meckler.
- McClure, Charles R., Ann P. Bishop, Philip Doty, and Howard Rosenbaum. (1991). The National Research and Education Network (NREN): Research and Policy Perspectives. Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
- Motorola Codex. (1992). The Basics Book of Information Networking. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Quarterman, John S. (1990). The Matrix: Computer Networks and Conferencing Systems Worldwide. Bedford, MA: Digital Press.
- Staple, Gregory C., Ed. (1993+). TeleGeography. email@example.com: TeleGeography, Inc.
- Berge, Zane L. and Mauri P. Collins. (1994). Computer-Mediated Communication and the Online Classroom. 3 volumes. Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press.
- Chesebro, James W. and Donald G. Bonsall. (1989). Computer-mediated communication: human relationships in a computerized world. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press.
- Rob Kling, Rob, Ed. (1995). Computerization and Controversy: Value Conflicts and Social Choices. 2nd Ed. San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Dutton, William H, Jay G. Blumler, Kenneth L. Kraaemer, Eds. (1987). Wired Cities: Shaping the Future of Communications. Boston, MA: G.K. Hall and Company.
- Ess, Chares, ed. (1995). CyberThoughts: Philosophical Perspectives on Computer-Mediated Communication. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press.
- Gattiker, U. E., ed. (1992). Technology-mediated communication. Berlin; New York: W. de Gruyter.
- Gilder, George. (1994). Telecosm. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- Harasim, Linda M. (1993). Global networks: computers and international communication. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Harasim, L. M., Hiltz, S. R., Teles, L., and Turoff. M. (1994). Learning networks: a field guide. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Hiltz, Starr Roxanne and Murray Turoff. (1993). The Networked Nation: Human Communication via Computer. Rev. Ed. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Jones, Steven G., ed. (1995). Cybersociety: Computer-Mediated Communication and Community. Thousand Oaks: Sage.
- Lea, Martin, ed. (1992). Contexts of computer-mediated communication. New York: Harvester Wheatsheaf.
- Mantovani, Giuseppe (1996). New communication environments, from everyday to virtual. Bristol, PA: Taylor and Francis.
- Mason, Robin and Anthony Kaye., eds. (1989). Mindweave: Communication, Computers, and Distance Education. New York: Pergamon Press.
- Rapaport, Matthew. (1991). Computer mediated communications : bulletin boards, computer conferencing, electronic mail, and information retrieval. New York: Wiley.
- Rheingold, Howard. (1993). The virtual community: homesteading on the electronic frontier. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Rheingold/VC book: the full text of the book 'The Virtual Community' by Howard Rheingold (http://www.well.com/www/hlr/vcbook/)
- Shea, Virginia (1994). Netiquette. Info@albion.com: Albion Books.
- Sproull, Lee and Sara Kiesler. (1991). Connections: New Ways of Working in the Networked Organization. MIT Press.
A selected listing of particularly useful paper books.