Assignment: Your Webspace
The purpose of this assignment is to establish your Web space on the Internet, run the validator, and fix the resulting errors.
For security and administrative reasons, you must use the Unix account supplied to you by the University for your Web pages and to email your URL to your instructor--failure to do so will result in your assignment not being graded. UW-Milwaukee students can use panthermail.uwm.edu for emailing.
- Prepare your student Web space. If you have already altered the default page that is set up for you, simply validate any page in your Web space or copy this hello world demonstration to your Web space, change my name and email address to yours, and validate it.
- Use the vi editor (or some other means to edit the file) and fix the errors. Here are some hints to fix the errors:
- The file must have a DOCTYPE statement.
- You can not have an ADDRESS element inside of an A (anchor) element. Remove the start <address> and ending </address> tags.
- Use validation again to make sure you have fixed all the errors in this file.
- You do not have to fix the warnings.
- You must follow these turning-in procedures and you must check for a receipt to make sure that your instructor received your assignment before you consider the assignment done--remember "It's not complete until you get your receipt!"
Turning in Your Assignment
Your assignment is due by the time listed on the syllabus. Use these procedures for turning in your assignment. Your assignment will be graded according to criteria I set up for this tutorial.