When I go out to take photos, I pack a utility kit
containing basic items I might need.
The idea is to
keep this kit to a minimum so that I
never hesitate to pack it (actually, just leave it in a pocket of my pack).
Here is a photo:
The kit contains (left to right):
- Left: the box to hold the kit. This is a
Snapware® rectangular container, 0.48 liters in capacity
(Contained in Modular Organized Durable Storage (MODS) Food Storage Containers by Snapware).
- Left, inside box: an extra strap cord for attaching to my camera strap and going around my neck for use of the camera on the tripod. I use this for additional
assurance that the tripod won't fall over. I often work near the river
or lake, and I take my hands off my tripod for the exposures (to
prevent tripod shake). I often use a different camera strap extender,
but I often forget it, so I have this one in my kit.
- Upper center: camera lens and camera caps. One of these goes over any of
the back ends
of the Canon EF-S/EF lenses I have, the other goes on the camera,
opening for the lens. I have these in case I want to transport
the camera with the lens and body separate.
- Upper center underneath camera and lens caps:
plastic bag that can serve as a rain cover for the camera.
- Upper right: extra camera battery. I rotate
this out with my other batteries periodically to keep it
- Middle center left:
3 extra 8 GB SD cards.
(My plans are to get more
16 GB SD cards.)
- Middle center right:
3 Lens cloths.
- Lower center left:
extra CR1220 battery cells
for camera remote.
- Lower center right: Canon Wireless Remote Control RC1 for Digital Rebel.
- Lower center right underneath camera remote: silk lens cloth.
- Lower right: lens blower and brush.
Packed, the kit looks like this:
I have a business card taped to the inside front cover and an address sticker
affixed to the side.
The lens cloths keep things tightly packed and prevent rattling.
The result is a sturdy, waterproof kit that fits in a pocket on my pack and
stays there until I need it.
This has supplied me with basics--spare battery,
cover for rain, extra strap cord, remote, extra SD cards--many times while
out in the field. It is nice to know I always have it--I don't have to
think about packing this stuff.