Notice: This file is archived for historical purposes only and is not being updated. Please see the index for updates.
- Global Chat: a standalone program to give you chat with IRC or Global Stage servers (http://www.qdeck.com/chat/)
- NetMeeting: phone and multipoint conferencing from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/netmeeting/)
- PowWow: up to seven people can chat, send and receive files, and cruise the World Wide Web together as a group (http://www.tribal.com)
- Collage source: for Mac, PC, and X, from NCSA (ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Visualization/Collage/)
Definition: Collage is a client/server group collaboration system which includes shared dialogue, text, and graphics spaces, from NCSA.
- CU-SeeMe: home page of the real-time, multiparty video-conferencing system for the Internet; by the CU-SeeMe Development Team of the Advanced Technologies and Planning group of the Network Resources division of Cornell Information Technologies in cooperation with the members of the CU-SeeMe Consortium (http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu)
- CU-SeeMe info: includes source code, and information (FAQ), from Cornell University (ftp://gated.cornell.edu/pub/video)
- CU-SeeMe use: CU-SeeMe Video conferencing experiments (http://www.ludvigsen.dhhalden.no/webdoc/video.html)
- Cu-SeeMe: Enhanced CU-SeeMe v2.0 for Windows (available for purchase) (http://www.cu-seeme.com)
Definition: CU-SeeMe is a real-time, multiparty video-conferencing system for the Internet.
- Haven newsgroup: (news:alt.internet.talk.haven)
Definition: A Haven is a network chat program that allows many people to talk to each other at once.
- lily information: site for lily information, includes documentation and source code (http://www.lily.org)
Definition: lily is a real-time text-based group conferencing system.
- Anastasios Kotsikonas: Listproc creator: mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Definition: Listproc is a system that automates mailing lists and archives.
- LISTSERV definition: the help file for listserv: mail email@example.com Body: "send listserv memo"
- LISTSERV Home Page: reference to all LISTSERV discussion groups (http://www.tile.net/tile/listserv/index.html)
- LISTSERV tips: : mail firstname.lastname@example.org Body: "get listserv tips"
- LISTSERV searching: tips on searching a listserv discussion for information: mail email@example.com Body: "get database search"
- LISTSERV managing: How to Start and Manage a BITNET LISTSERV Discussion Group, by Kovacs, McCarty, and Kovacs: mail firstname.lastname@example.org Body: "get kovacs prv2n1"
- LISTSERV tips: List Management Tips for LISTSERV Postmasters and List Owners, by Lisa M. Covi: mail email@example.com Body: "get listserv tips"
- LISTSERV guide: The Listserv Guide for General Users: mail firstname.lastname@example.org Body: "get lsvguide memo"
- PAML: Publicly Available Mailing Lists, by Stephanie da Silva (http://www.neosoft.com/internet/paml)
- Search LISTSERV: search for interesting email lists to join (http://www.nova.edu/Inter-Links/cgi-bin/lists)
- Search LISTSERV WAIS: WAIS-based search for a Usenet and LISTSERV conferences (wais://munin.ub2.lu.se:210/academic_email_conf)
- Search LISTSERV gopher: searching and retrieval of archived LISTSERV messages (gopher://dewey.lib.ncsu.edu:70/11/library/disciplines/library/listgopher)
- Dartmouth Merged SIGL: Special Interest Group Lists (ftp://dartcms1.dartmouth.edu/siglists/)
- Electronic Conferences: Directory of Scholarly Electronic Conferences, by Diane K. Kovacs (ftp://ksuvxa.kent.edu/library/)
- Search Academic Conferences: (wais://munin.ub2.lu.se:210/academic_email_conf)
Definition: LISTSERV is a mailing-list program for group communication.
- Majordomo: : mail Majordomo@GreatCircle.COM Body: "help"
- Brent Chapman: creator of Majordomo: mail email@example.com
- Majordomo Problems: : mail Majordomo-Owner@mv.mv.com
Definition: Majordomo is a mailing list manager.
- Maven Info: a Mac-based audioconferencing tool; powerful when used in conjunction with, Cornell's CU-SeeMe (http://www.indstate.edu/msattler/sci-tech/comp/CU-SeeMe/faqs/mac-audio.html)
Definition: Maven is a Mac-based audioconferencing tool.
- MU types: a discussion of differnet kinds of MU*s, by Eli Burke (http://csugrad.cs.vt.edu/soc/mud_types.html)
- MUD FAQ: frequently asked questions and answers about MUDs (ftp://ftp.math.okstate.edu/pub/muds/misc/mud-faq/)
- MUD Archive: documents pertaining to the history of MUDS, by Lauren P. Burka (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/USER/lpb/muddex.html)
- MUD resources: includes many resources, documentation, general information, by Lydia Leong (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~lwl/mudinfo.html)
- MUD research: includes archives of Notes, Papers (archives from MIT, MediaMOO, Xerox PARC), and References (gopher://actlab.rtf.utexas.edu/11/MUD/Research)
- MUD/Lysators: Info about Lysators MUDs, and MUDs in general (http://www.lysator.liu.se:7500/nobw/mud/main.html)
- MediaMoo: example of a MOO at MIT's Media Lab (telnet://purple-crayon.media.mit.edu:8888)
- Diversity University: example of MOO used for education (telnet://erau.db.erau.edu:8888)
- Moo/Web-JHM: Jay's House Moo, a Moo with some Web access and interaction (http://jh.ccs.neu.edu:7043)
- Moo/Web(forms)-WAXWEB: Mosaic users can interact with a Moo (http://bug.village.virginia.edu)
- mmMoo: multimedia MOO (http://www.peg.apc.org/~firehorse/mmm/mmm.html)
- Moo Gopher blurb: a short description of Moo gopher at Jay's House Moo (ftp://mailbase.ac.uk/pub/lists/unite/files/jays_house.txt)
- Moo info: a collection of MOO information, answers, documentation, paper archives (gopher://actlab.rtf.utexas.edu/11/MUD/MOO)
- Moo papers/Xerox: a collection of information and papers about Moos (ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/MOO)
- Moo papers/MIT: information and papers from MIT Lab's MediaMOO (ftp://media.mit.edu/pub/MediaMOO)
- Yahoo List: (http://www.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Games/MUDs__MUSHes__MUSEs__MOOs__etc_/)
- MUD Announcements: an unmoderated Usenet newsgroup for general announcements related to MU*s (news:rec.games.mud.announce)
- MUD Administration: an unmoderated Usenet newsgroup for MU* administration issues (news:rec.games.mud.admin)
- MUD Miscellaneous: an unmoderated Usenet newsgroup for miscellaneous MU* issues (news:rec.games.mud.misc)
MU = Multiple-User Dialogue/Domain/Dungeon and variants
Definition: MUs are real-time interaction systems (usually text) traditionally used for social role-playing.
Note: Variants include MUD, MUCK, MUSH, MUSE, MOO.
Definition: A MOO is an object-oriented Multiple User Dialogue (MUD).
- PowWow: The PowWow page from Tribal Voice (http://www.tribal.com/powwow/default.htm)
Definition: Pow-wow allows up to seven people to chat; exchange files; and travel the Web together; works with Windows.
- Procmail source: (ftp://ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/packages/procmail/)
- Procmail mailinglist: : mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Definition: Procmail is a mail manager--create mail-servers, mailing lists, sort your incoming mail.
- WIT = Web Interactive Talk
- WIT: W3 Interactive Talk, a forms-based discussion system (http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/WIT/User/Overview.html)
- Example WIT session: an example of a WIT, branching off into many threads (http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Discussion)
Definition: Web Interactive Talk is a means to create a shared discussion space in hypertext on a number of topics and threads.
- WebChat: live text chat via the Web, using HTML Forms capability, an experiment of Digital Equipment Corporation and the Internet Roundtable (http://webchat.service.digital.com)
- WWW Chat Forums: from the Columbus Home Page (http://www.ohiocap.com/Chat/)
Definition: Live (text) chat via the World Wide Web.
- WW = Web World
- DC: Digital City, a digital landscape (http://dc.viper.net/fun/dc/)
- FortuneCity: The city that never sleeps-- houses, apartments, shops, a radio station and even elected city officials. (http://www.FortuneCity.com)
Definition: A Web World is a virtual community enabled by the interactive HTML Forms (Interactive Webbing, see below).
- Yarn web: Yarn User Manual (http://dstc.bond.edu.au:91776/YarnMan.html)
Definition: Yarn is a text-based networked meeting system.