Unique Yooper products and shops.
- Lakestate Industries
provides a wide range of products--built right in the UP--for your home
or business: Yooper firestarters (make a great gift for hunters or campers),
dog feeders, furniture, crates, trash bins,
pallets and stakes, document-shredding, janitorial services, and subcontracting.
- You can get great candy from Saykllys, makers of the "Yooper Bar" and chocolate "turtles." I remember getting samples of its famous salt water taffy at the UP State Fair while growing up.
- I remember eating Trenary Toast at my grandmother's house. What is Trenary Toast? Toasted bread topped with cinnamon. What other city is known primarily for its toast?
- Bark River Knife and Tool offers American-made knives for the outdoors.
- Mama Russo's in Ishpeming exports its Cudighi and other sausage throughout the UP and Wisconsin.
- Whitefish from Mackinac Straits Fish Company, St. Ignace, is eaten at fine restaurants throughout the Great Lakes.
- I learned to walk on snowshoes in the UP soon after I could walk. Iverson's in Shingleton makes snowshoes in the UP with modern and traditional materials.
- Very much the UP's distinctive food, the pasty (pronounced PAST ee), is available for online ordering at Pasty Central.
- Another UP tradition is the Finnish steam bath, the sauna (prounounced SOUN ah); Nippa in Bruce Crossing makes stoves.
- I remember entering with wonder the Delta Plaza Mall in the early 1970's--stores inside!
- The Copper Connection in Houghton sells minerals from the Copper Country's rich mining heritage--including float copper, jasper, hematite, and Lake Superior Agates.
- Village Artisans of Garden: brings together artists and art enthusiasts; art classes, workshops, music and drama productions, lectures, demonstrations, and adult enrichment programs.
Unique area restaurants.
in Escanaba is the friendliest coffee spot in the heart of the UP.
Wireless Internet. Occasional live music.
- Dobber's Pasties in Escanaba was voted as having the "Best Pasties in Michigan" in the The Detroit News for 2004. Also available for ordering online.
- When I attended Michigan Tech, it was a tradition to stop with your family at Hilltop Sweet Rolls in L'Anse for their enormous sweet rolls.
- The Harbor Haus Restaurant has waterfront dining in Copper Harbor.
- Rapaportz offers coffee in their espresso bar as well as Yooper gift baskets; in Delta Plaza Mall, Escanaba.
- Vango's is still serving pizza on Third Street
in Marquette; I remember going there while attending
nearby Graveraet Middle School.
- Java Joe's in St. Ignace offers
food to visitors to the popular Mackinac Straits and Island area.
- The Village Inn of Mackinac is
a restaurant and bar right on Hoban Road, Mackinac Island; it is
- The Hoop 'N Holler Tavern is
the westernmost tavern in the eastern time zone; on Lake Gogebic,
the UP's largest inland lake.
- The Swedish Pantry in Escanaba
serves home-cooked meals including Swedish pancackes.
- Yoopers making a trip to the big city of
Green Bay might stop at
Schloegel's in Menominee.
- See also: UP Dining for directories of other area restaurants.
Unique area tours, lodging, and other attractions.
- The historic House of Ludington in Escanaba is known for its Queen Anne resort architecture, its history dating back to the lumber boom of the 19th century, and its famous guests which have included Henry Ford, Johnny Cash, and Jimmy Hoffa.
- Thunder Bay Inn in downtown Big Bay was once owned by Henry Ford and was a filming location for the 1959 film "Anatomy of a Murder."
- The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island is a member of the National Trust's Historic Hotels of America and claims the world's longest porch.
- Gazing into the emerald, clear, and deep waters of the Kitch-iti-kipi Big Springs near Manistique is among the earliest of my memories.
- Pictured Rocks Cruises in Munising takes you for a three hour plus cruise along the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and its multicolored sandstone cliffs along cold and scenic Lake Superior.
- Keweenaw Excursions in Houghton takes you along the Portage Canal.
- The Toonerville Trolley takes you to Tahquamenon Falls near Newberry.
- Soo Locks Boat Tours takes you through one of the most notable engineering achievements in the world, the Soo Locks, from Michigan's oldest city, Sault Ste Marie.