Explanation: Pasties are meat pies originally made in Cornwall, England. Miners from Cornwall who emigrated to work in the iron ore mines of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan brought the tradition of pasties with them.
This is my Mom's pasty recipe as she used it in the UP from the 1960's to 1990's; she got it from her Mom.
Preparation Time: 2 hours
Number of Servings: 1 Pasty / person
Ingredients: diced potatoes, hamburger, carrots, pepper, salt, flour, shortening, water
- For each pasty, mix in bowl: 1.5 diced potatoes, 0.20 lb (90 g) hamburger, 0.5 carrots, pinch of pepper & salt
- Dough for each pasty: 0.66 cup (150 ml) flour, 1.5 tbs (22 ml) shortening, 1.5 tbs (22 ml) water
- Grease cookie sheet with shortening
- Roll out dough and place ingredients on the dough; wrap dough around ingredients to form flattened oval shape; crimp edges; poke holes in dough with a fork
- Bake 1 hr @ 375° F (190° C)