I no longer have the time to catalog each key online article about Java. However, on this page, I'll provide a summary of key events and trends on a month-by-month basis.
To find out the latest news about Java, check the Java News Tip Sheet
Key Java Events and Trends
- October 1996: Microsoft persues J++; Marimba delivering Java-based software tools.
- July 1996: Microsoft continues to be aggressive in Java, releasing its Java development environment; Java support in the Internet Explorer 3.0. Sun Microsystems reports 1995 fourth quarter revenues of $2 billion and record per-share earnings.
- June 1996:
- Microsoft pursues a strategy of ActiveX controls in its alpha version of Internet Explorer 3.0 for Windows 95.
- June 7, 1996 - Sun Microsystems, Inc., announced The Java(tm) Alliance, an industry group dedicated to hastening broad acceptance and deployment of Java technologies in Taiwan's information industry.
- May 1996: Apple Computer Inc., Hewlett-Packard Company, Hitachi, Ltd., International Business Machines Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, Novell, Inc., Silicon Graphics, Inc., SunSoft, The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc. (SCO) and Tandem Computers, Inc. all intend to embed Java into their operating systems