You can use methods described in the book (Part III) for any locating resources that may have moved.
Second edition (1995) errata
- The software to go with the book URL (on the last printed page) doesn't work yet (someone at Sams.Net is working on it); For now, use: http://www.mcp.com/samsnet/track1/SOFTWARE/software.htm.
- p. 447. under heading "Lycos," replace URL http://lycos.cs.cmu.edu/ with http://www.lycos.com.
- p. 453; point 4, second line, replace "do this same search with the terse mode OFF" with "do this same search with the terse mode ON"
- p. 463: bottom: replace the URL shown for WebCrawler with http://webcrawler.com/
- p. 493 replace URL shown for Net find (line 3) with http://www.nova.edu/Inter-Links/netfind.html
- p. 728, third line from bottom, replace list of CWISs URL to be this: http://www.rpi.edu/dept/library/html/cwis/cwis.html
- p. 744: Under the Macmillan USA info superlibrary, the list of imprints should be: "...Que, Que College, Sams, and Sams.net (this book's imprint)". [or whatever the list of imprints is now]
- p. 1058: paragraph 3: URL is missing initial "h": http://imtsun3.epfl.ch:8000/tango/
- Appendix A: all references to info.cern.ch should be to www.w3.org.
- Back quick reference card -- update these URLs:
- Web Overview URL; remove URL http://info.cern.ch/default.html and replace with http://www.w3.org/
- Web client's list: update URL to http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Clients.html
- Exploring The Web: update CERN Virtual Library URL to: http://www.w3.org/hypertext/DataSources/bySubject/Overview.html
- Web discussion: just include the single URL: http://www.halcyon.com/grant/web-groups.html
- Announcements: should read: news:comp.infosystems.announce
- Back cover: Remove the "s" from my magazine's title: it is Computer-Mediated Communication Magazine.
First edition (1994) errata
- On page 747 (Chapter 33) the description of body elements shows an H1 declaration and two H2 declarations. The closing H1 marker is lacking the /, which needs to be there.
- [Corrected in second printing]
URL for the book support web
given in the introduction is incorrect. The host name
should be "www.rpi.edu" (not "www.rpt.edu"). Of course,
if you've found this support web, you already know this;
but, if you are teaching a course or providing the book
for others, you can pass this information to them.
We apologize for the typo, and it is ironic, given
the care I advise in the handling of URLs
elsewhere in the book. The error involves the transmission
of this URL to the printer who had to type it in by
hand for the printing. (As I mention in Part III,
cut-and-paste methods work best!).
I hope that readers will be able to locate the URL for this support web using the advice about URLs on page 306. This support web URL is registered with spiders, available through finger email@example.com, available in other indexes on the Web, and was included with publicity about the book. Of course, I or any of the authors could assist a user in locating it via email. Once again, apologies for this error.
- [Corrected in second printing]
Page 762: the anchor:
Should have "Something" in it. See the chapter support page for more explanation. In fact, view the HTML source for that file itself, as it contains an example of this use from the anchor above.
- [Corrected in second printing] CyberWeb mentioned in the book is not sponsored by Charm Net (which is the Internet service provider), but is a project of Alan Richmond. Thanks to him for clearing this up. CyberWeb is a very good resource collection that emerged more prominently and developed more as I was writing about it (and even more since then); for a more stable URL, use the one given in the anchor above for CyberWeb. The URL given on page 1002 is for Charm Net. Use the URL given in the anchor above for the CyberWeb. CyberWeb is now part of CERN's Virtual Library.
First edition typographical errors; thanks to Ana Julia for compiling and sending this in:
* the line count includes FIGURE lines. Page Line* It reads It should read ---- ---- ------------------ ----------------- 27 17 anthropormorphic anthropomorphic 172 30 there are two there are three 342 18 participant participate 387 19 HMTL HTML 423 21 been between 427 15 s with a with a p s with a p 515 11 24.28 24.29 614 6 26.6 27.6 618 5 27.10 27.9 626 3 anyone would anyone who would 675 2 preceeding following 676 17 this a this is a 693 17 have in have an 729 22 32.2 32.3 730 12 32.2 32.3 736 17 What is does "IT" What does "IT" 808 15 have an labyrinthine have a labyrinthine 843 12 its not it is not or it's notThank you!