CMC Magazine Editorial Information
The purpose of this list is to assist
prospective writers for
Magazine by defining
a set of terms that magazine readers would probably know.
Another purpose of this list is to help readers look up a term
that they may not know in the text of the magazine.
Prospective authors should also see:
the audience statement,
the style guidelines,
the submission guidelines,
the editorial policy,
and the identity statement for the magazine.
This list also should help copy editors and production people
during the editing and production processes.
A partial listing (still under construction)
Each entry in the following list consists of:
- The term
- A brief definition
- Usage guidelines
use for a hypertext link--whether the
link is made or not depends on context and
link policy for
guidance about creating links within articles).
- ASCII -- American Standard Code for Information Interchange.
- Usage -- Use abbreviation on the first and subsequent references.
- Links -- A link either does not exist or is
- America Online -- A commercial online service.
- Usage -- Spell out on first reference. Use the abbreviation, AOL, for subsequent references.
- Links -- Use
- Archie -- Servers that assist users by finding Anonymous FTP hosts
containing specific files.
- BBS -- Bulletin Board Systems
- Usage -- Use the abbreviation for first and subsequent references.
- Links -- A link either does not exist or is not necessary.
- CERN -- --
Conseil Europeen pour la Recherche Nucleaire,
the European Laboratory for Particle Physics in Geneva, Switzerland
which in 1989 initialized what is now the World Wide Web.
- Usage -- Use the abbreviation on the first and subsequent
- Links -- Use http://www.cern.ch
Developed by CMC Magazine Editors and Staff;
Last revision: 06 Mar 1995 firstname.lastname@example.org