Validating a Web Document
You can detect and diagnose HTML syntax errors in your document by using a validator. First, make sure you have an appropriate DOCTYPE statement (and, optionally, a character encoding statement) in your document. Then:
- Go the the Web page https://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/
- Enter the URL of your assignment in the box which is labeled URL:
- Make sure that the checkbox for "show input" (second checkbox below the URL: box) is checked
- Click on "Validate it!"
- Fix the syntax errors you have. A good idea is to start with the first error that you have, fix it, and then re-validate. Repeat until you have no syntax errors.
- If you want, you can use the Tidy service to help you. See The HTML Toolbox under "Utilities." Tidy can help you diagnose HTML syntax errors, but it is not a validator. Any output you get from Tidy should be run through the validator again.