Notice: This file is archived for historical purposes only and is not being updated. Please see the index for updates.
- Willow: Washington Information Looker-upper Layered Over Windows (http://www.cac.washington.edu/willow/home.html)
Definition: Willow is a graphical user interface to text-based bibliographic databases, WWW, and Z39.50.
Languages and systems to foster interactivity in networked applications.
- Active X: Microsoft's entry into the active Web page race; enables software to intercommunicate in a networked environment, regardless of the language; ActiveX is built on the Component Object Model (COM) (http://www.microsoft.com/activex)
- Broadway: a project to bring universal access to network applications on the Web; under development at the X consortium (http://www.x.org/consortium/broadway.html)
- Inferno(tm): an operating system for delivering interactive media; Limbo(tm) is the name of the language it supports; under development within the Computing Sciences Research Center of Bell Labs at Lucent Technologies (http://www.lucent.com/inferno/)
- Java(tm): a programming language for creating interactive, network distributed applications and applets on Web pages (http://www.december.com/works/java/info.html)
- Juice: distributing executable content across the World Wide Web (http://www.ics.uci.edu/~juice/)
- Netscape One: an open network environment for cross-platform network-based applications (http://developer.netscape.com/library/one/)
VBScript: Visual basic scripting; active online content for the Internet (http://www.microsoft.com/vbscript/)
Directories of interactive applications
- Gamelan: a directory of Java and ActiveX resources (http://www.gamelan.com)
- Mojoe: a directory of animations and multimedia, with an interactive emphasis (http://www.mojoe.com)