Despite its rural character, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan does support a variety of transportation options.
- Michigan State parks, forests, pathways, and campgrounds
- Hiawatha National Forest
- Ottawa National Forest
- Isle Royale National Park
- Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
- Porkies (The Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park)
- North Country Trail: a National Scenic Trail stretching 7,400 kilometers from North Dakota to New York state. Crosses the UP.
- Noquemanon Trail Network: Hiking and water trail network; in the central UP; trails include Noquemanon, Saux Head, Cedar Hurst, Big Bay, Blueberry, Al Quaal, South Marquette, and Valley Spur.
- See Michigan DNR trail maps
- Across UP: Indian Trails: check this site for bus service to and across the UP.
- Western UP: Get Around the Western UP: covers Baraga, Gogebic, Houghton, Iron, Keweenaw and Ontonagon; a guide to public and private transit, carpooling, and non-motorized transportation in the Western Upper Peninsula. Provided by the Western Upper Peninsula Planning and Development Region.
- Eastern UP: Eastern UP Transportation Authority: Phone (906)293-3305. Serves Luce and Chippewa Counties with bus as well as ferry service.
- Alger County: AlTran (Alger County Transit Authority): Phone (906)387-4845. Serves Alger County, including Munising.
- Delta County: DATA (Delta Area Transit Authority): Phone (906)786-1186. Serves Delta County, including Escanaba, Gladstone, Rapid River, Bark River, and Garden.
- Dickinson County: no known bus or transit service.
- Gogebic County: Gogebic County Transit Authority: Little Blue Bus; Phone (906)932-2523. Serves Gogebic County.
- Houghton County: Houghton Motor Transit Line: Phone (906) 482-6092. The City of Houghton provides scheduled and on demand transportation throughout the city.
- Mackinac County: no known bus or transit service.
- Marquette County: MarqTran (Marquette County Transit Authority): Phone (906)225-1112. Serves Marquette County, including Marquette, Ishpeming, Negaunee, KI Sawyer, Gwinn.
- Menominee County: no known bus or transit service.
- Schoolcraft County Public Transportation: Phone (906)341-2111. Serves Schoolcraft County, Manistique.
- Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan to Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario, Canada: International Bridge Bus: (906)632-6882
- Chippewa County Airport, code: CIU. Located 24 km south of Sault Ste. Marie ("The Soo"). Access to the eastern UP. airCIU.com
- Delta County Airport, Escanaba, code: ESC. Located right in the city of Escanaba. flyESC.com
- Ford Airport, code: IMT. Located 4.6 km west of Iron Mountain-Kingsfod. FordAirport.org
- Houghton County Memorial Airport, code: CMX. Located 6.5 km northeast of Hancock. CMXAirport.com
- Marquette/Sawyer Airport, code: SAW, 26 km south of Marquette; 7 km northeast of Gwinn. SawyerAirport.com
Trains (freight, no passenger rail) (Michigan Rail Map)
- I-75 : enters the UP at St Ignace across the Mackinac Bridge from lower Michigan and goes north to Sault Ste Marie
- US 2 : starts at St Ignace and goes west across UP through Manistique, Escanaba, Iron Mountain, Iron River, and Ironwood, continues into Wisconsin
- US 41 : enters the UP at Menominee, goes north to Powers, Escanaba, Gladstone, Trenary, Marquette, Negaunee, Ishpeming, L'Anse, Houghton, Hancock, ends at Copper Harbor, northern tip of the UP on the Keweenaw Peninsula
- Great Lakes-St Lawrence Seaway System
- Great Lakes Vessels
- See Michigan DNR harbor maps
- Various lake tour boats for passengers
- Pictured Rocks Cruises: Munising
- Grand Island Ferry
- Drummond Island: Ferry and other transit, DeTour
- Tahquamenon Falls Train and Riverboat Tours: Toonerville Trolley; Riverboat Tour
- Isle Royale
- Ranger III: Houghton to Isle Royale National Park
- Isle Royale Line: Copper Harbor to Rock Harbor, Isle Royale National Park
- Grand Portage Isle Royale Transportation Line: offers day trips to the island aboard the MV Wenonah from Grand Portage, Minnesota to Windigo, Isle Royale; and mail and passenger service to Isle Royale from Grand Portage, Minnesota to Rock Harbor, Isle Royale on the Voyageur II
- Mackinac Island Ferries